Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Carbide.c++ 2.0 and P4 synchronization

Carbide.c++ 2.0 has been launched on NewLC for quite a while since around December and with new license. It is now available for free for OEM, Developer and Professional edition! Recently, I read stories about Nokia 5800 XpressMusic which based on S60 5th edition for Touch UI. (I think, touch screen becomes trendy since iPhone...everyone goes touch screen now. However, I personally enjoy using the softkey doing things. Perhaps, because my first experience with touch screen for mobile phone, Sony Ericsson P800 - based on UIQ, was not so good.) This new XpressMusic looks very promising, it is thiner than N95. (One thing I dislike about N95 8GB - the phone's thickness.) My idea is just try to build my S60 based on 3rd Edition application to 5th Edition in the future. Although I don't have any 5th Edition in hand...but make the application running with emulator is also fun.

Perhaps, this is a good time to prepare new development environment for our project.

1. Install Carbide.c++ 2.0.
Grasp Carbide.c++ 2.0 from here.

2. Install SCM Plugin for Carbide.
After finishing with Carbide installation, we need P4WSAD, the Perforce Plug-in for Eclipse.
- Go to Help -> Software Updates -> Find and Install
- Enter http://www.perforce.com/downloads/http/p4-wsad/install/ as a new site. Follow the instruction.
- After the installation ready, you can see 2 jar files: com.perforce.p4api_xxxx.jar and com.perforce.team.core_xxxx.jar in plugins directory under your carbide installation directory.

3. Synchronize Carbide.c++ with our SCM.
- Go to Project Explorer, right click at the project and select Team->Share Project.
- From the repository list, you can see list of available repositories, select Perforce.
- Perforce setting parameters can be taken from your P4 client.

Now, we have our environment ready. (I rebuilt my project with Carbide.c++ 2.0 with my old S60 3rd Edition, there was no problem).

4. Install S60 5th Edition SDK
- Here is the link to Nokia's forum to download the 5th Edition SDK

5. Install the SDK plugin.
- Right now, I still have not found any plugin for 5th Edition of S60.

You need to edit your Carbide's project to have a configuration for 5th Edition and the rest depends on your application.


Lately, I have been so busy in the office. Therefore, I have no time to continue on my package updating story but I will try to finish the second part as soon as I can.


---------------
"I spend almost as much time figuring out what's wrong with my computer as I do actually using it." Clifford Stoll, Silicon Snake Oil